Rochdale News | Sports News | Rugby League: Siddal 26 – 10 Mayfield

Date published: August 22, 2022

Mayfield made the trip to Halifax on Saturday August 20 with only the thought of victory in mind.

Victory would have been enough to ensure their survival in this tough division. The game started in windy conditions and there was not much to choose between the teams for the first ten minutes. After a period of sustained pressure, Siddal broke the deadlock with the score from the corner, 4 – 0.

Mayfield knew they needed to get points on the board early to be with a shout in this game and they were unlucky as Luke Fowden, Dave Mills and Aidy Gleeson closed in. Both teams produced some good rugby and the game went from start to finish. Siddal knew they were in for a battle and when they were awarded a penalty for a high shot they went for the two points despite being in a good attacking position, 6 – 0.

The game remained close for the remainder of the half, with both teams putting on an excellent defensive display, but as they grew weary, Mayfield found himself guilty of awarding too many penalties. With penalties comes position on the pitch and Mayfield was under constant pressure from his own action rather than Siddal’s play. Just at half-time, Siddal took advantage of a missed tackle and scored a converted try to double their lead, 12 – 0.

Mayfield made a good start to the second half putting constant pressure on the home defence, but Siddal was too strong and too lively. Lost possession on the Siddal line saw their half-backs kick into high gear and they soon celebrated their third down, 16 – 0.

Although they put on a fiery show, it now looked like Mayfield was about to fold and when Siddal pocketed his fourth and made it 20 – 0 it looked like they would.

Something seemed to click with Sam Butterworth’s side and they came right back to their hosts they took the game into their own hands and looked the better side at this point and when Ieuan Higgs followed his own kick and scored and converted his side’s first try, Mayfield seemed to start believing in himself, 20-6 down.

Within minutes Luke Fowden had closed the gap again with a superb team try, converted again by Higgs, 20 – 12.

It was all Mayfield at this point with Danny Dean, Dec Sheridan and Harry McDonald working overtime and without a massive defensive effort they would have scored again. Time and time again they pushed, but time and time again Siddal pushed back. With less than 25 minutes remaining, Mayfield had to take risks even though they were camped out on the starting line. A careless pass from a Mayfield attack saw Siddal show his class again as they moved quickly into Mayfield’s danger zone. The effort they put in had left the Butterworths boys on their feet and against the run of play Siddal scored the last try of the game, converted which made the final score 26 – 12.

You could argue that Mayfield deserved more from this game, but it doesn’t work that way in the sport, it’s about creating your own luck and trying your luck. If you don’t, you finish second and that’s what happened. Butterworth and his assistant Steve Wood were bitterly disappointed with the loss and declined to comment after the game. Mayfield is now shuffling for survival and dependent on the results of others.

Siddal’s coaching staff have awarded Mayfield man of the match to number 13, Aidy Gleeson.

Ruth J. Leeds