Rochdale News | Sports News | Oldham 24-50 Rochdale Hornets

Date published: July 11, 2022

Rochdale Hornets hit a spectacular 44 unanswered second-half run to come from behind and beat local rivals Oldham 24-50 – at Vestacare Stadium.

A sloppy first-half performance saw the Hornets go down 24-6 at the break, but a hat-trick for Rangi Chase – as well as a brace for Fenton Rogers – meant they were able to secure a memorable double in the league over their nearest neighbours. .

The added intensity of a local derby was evident early on with very little quarter time allowed and both defenses over the top, in the opening ten minutes.

However, after the Hornets were penalized for a high tackle, the hosts began to pressure the Hornets line and were soon given the first try of the game – in the form of Jordan Andrade.

Although the Hornets were yet to kick into high gear, Chase was already looking for a threat and won the Hornets a great attacking scrimmage position when Oldham failed to muster one of his high test balls.

From the scrum, Chase then hopped the Roughyeds line to register his first try of the season; Gregg McNally added the extras to level the scores at 6-6.

As the game approached the half-hour mark, Oldham began to find holes in the Hornets’ left edge.

Liam Copland took full advantage, rushing in to score Oldham’s second try before putting in one for Calvin Wellington with a well-placed chip over the top.

A fourth down, just before half-time, for debutant Jonathan Openshaw meant the Hornets had it all to do on their second-half exit.

Matt Calland’s side looked like they were off to the perfect start when Lewis Sheridan scored in the 43rd minute but were dealt a blow when McNally was forced into injury after the conversion.

Having also lost the returning Jy Hitchcox, to a head injury, Rochdale was forced to revamp his backline.

Things got more complicated when Joe Taira was later convicted for an altercation with Emmerson Whittel, who was also shown a yellow card.

However, the Hornets were unimpressed by this and soon scored again after a fine break from Ben Calland.

Just four minutes later, Rogers would get his first down with a typically dominant carry to cross the Oldham line.

It was then time for another moment of brilliance from Chase.

The extravagant half-back broke the Roughyeds line halfway, before avoiding Owen Restall to go under the posts.

Ben O’Keefe, now in charge of striking duties, added the extras to give the visitors a shock lead.

With their tails now up, Calland’s team began dominating both territory and possession.

A scrum from just ten yards saw Kieran Rush make a clever break, before setting Rogers up for his second try of the afternoon.

That left the hosts eight points behind, with just 12 minutes to play, and their task became even more difficult when Luke Nelmes received a yellow card – meaning they had to finish the game with 12 men.

The Hornets continued their ruthless streak, with the man advantage, scoring three tries in the final seven minutes.

The first saw Chase complete his hat trick after a powerful break from Gavin Bennion.

Then O’Keefe got his own try, before Bennion himself was put on the scoresheet with the game’s final act.

The Wigan Warriors loanee added the extras, once again, to turn back the half-century and cap off an unforgettable afternoon for the Rochdale Hornets.

The Hornets now face a bye week but will be hoping to maintain that scintillating form when they host the London Skolars on Sunday July 24 at the Crown Oil Arena, kick off at 3pm.

Oldham: Restall, Copland, Wellington, Carr, Hartley, Ridyard, Slater; Nelmes, Yarrow, Spencer, Windrow, Cameron, Whittel.
Exchanges: Openshaw, Andrade, Thornton, Newton.

Tries: Andrade (12′), Copland (28′), Wellington (31′), Openshaw (35′).
Goals: Ridyard, 4/4.

Hornets: McNally, Tyrer, Calland, O’Keefe, Hitchcox, Chase, Sheridan; Rogers, Rush, Bennion, Forster, Baker, Gannon.
Exchanges: Moimoi, Penkywicz, Taira, Killan.

Tries: Chase (22′, 63′, 74′), Sheridan (43′), Calland (53′), Rogers (57′, 67′), O’Keefe (76′), Bennion (80′).
Goals: McNally 1/2, O’Keefe 6/7.

Georges Newell

Ruth J. Leeds