Rochdale News | Sports News | Challenge Cup: Draw for the third and fourth rounds organized by the Rochdale Hornets
Date published: February 02, 2022
Vicky Molyneux and Paul Sculthorpe MBE drew the teams for the third and fourth rounds
The draws for the third and fourth rounds of the Challenge Cup were hosted by Rochdale Hornets at the Crown Oil Arena yesterday (1 February) and broadcast live on BBC Sport.
Rochdale-born England women’s international Vicky Molyneux helped organize the draw and she withdrew her former community club Rochdale Mayfield as a home draw after their narrow 18-16 win over West Hull.
Paul Sculthorpe MBE, a four-time Challenge Cup winner with St Helens, was pulling the numbers for away teams and made Doncaster third-round opponents for Mayfield.
Rochdale Hornets travel to Castleford to take on Lock Lane in the third round of the Betfred Challenge Cup later this month.
Matt Calland’s side impressively beat the Midlands Hurricanes 36-16 live on BBC Sport to earn their place in the next round, in what was the Hornets’ first competitive game since September 2021.
If the Hornets beat Lock Lane, on the centenary of the team’s only Challenge Cup triumph at the Crown Oil Arena in 1922, they will host the Championship side Barrow Raiders.
Mayfield, meanwhile, would host Championship side Whitehaven in round four if they found a way past Doncaster.
Third-round matches are scheduled to be played from February 12-13, while fourth-round matches will be played from February 26-28.
Third round (matches to be played on February 12 and 13)
- Lock Lane vs. Rochdale Hornets
- Royal Navy versus York Acorn
- London Skolars v Hunslet Club Parkside
- Swinton Lions v North Wales Crusaders
- Rochdale Mayfield v Doncaster
- Hunslet v Siddal
Fourth round (matches to be played February 26-28)
- York City Knights v Newcastle Thunder
- Halifax Panthers vs. Featherstone Rovers
- Leigh Centurions vs Widnes Vikings
- Lock Lane or Rochdale Hornets vs. Barrow Raiders
- Batley Bulldogs vs. Royal Navy or York Acorn
- London Broncos vs. Bradford Bulls
- London Skolars or Hunslet Club Parkside v Sheffield Eagles
- Lions of Swinton or Crusaders of North Wales against Hunslet or Siddal
- Workington Town v Dewsbury Rams
- Rochdale Mayfield or Doncaster v Whitehaven